This site recently underwent a major upgrade. Some features may not work or work differently. Please report any issues to User_talk:Admin.
- 1884 - Charles IRWIN purchases rights to solid center auger bit
- 1885 - The IRWIN Auger Bit Co. is formed
- 1924 - Bill Petersen granted basic patent for locking pliers
- 1934 - Petersen Manufacturing Co. formed to manufacture and market Vise-Grip locking tools
- 1938 - First official Vise-Grip tools plant opens in an old DeWitt, Nebraska drug store with a staff of 37
- 1945 - First National Hardware Show; Vise-Grip tools are there
- 1957 - Modern-design 10WR Vise-Grip locking pliers go on the market with curved jaw and wire cutter
- 1962 - Petersen Manufacturing opens a plant in Cumberland, Wisconsin for manufacturing twist drills
- 1978 - Petersen Manufacturing workforce expands to 637 people
- 1979 - Gorham, Maine plant opens, manufacturing Hanson and IRWIN branded tools
- 1985 - American Tool Companies, Inc. is formed by the Petersen family and acquires Petersen Manufacturing
- 1993 - American Tool acquires The IRWIN Tool Company, a revered manufacturer of power tool accessories and cutting tools
- 2002 - Newell Rubbermaid acquires American Tool
- 2003 - American Tool name officially changes to IRWIN Industrial Tool Company
Known for its solid core auger bits.